In a recent study, construction workers reported the highest job satisfaction out of 30,000 polled. If you work in construction, this isn’t a surprise to you. You know the perks firsthand. But if you’re on the outside looking in, you may not realize the best parts of working in the industry. So today, we share the top three reasons to be thankful for a career in construction, as most often reported by workers.
Reason #1 Health
Construction workers emphasize the physical and mental benefits of a health-promoting work environment that is the job site.
- Skilled tradespeople working on a job site get to spend time outdoors, which is preferable to spending every working hour indoors. Poor indoor air quality and lack of sunshine plagues office-bound workers, but skilled tradespeople enjoy fresh air and vitamin D throughout their shift.
- On-site construction workers engage in physical labor throughout the day to get the job done. This is much better for their health than staying sedentary, especially as more and more experts agree that “sitting is the new smoking.” In addition, unlike manufacturing line workers, construction workers don’t just stand in place. They move their bodies throughout their shift for truly functional fitness.
- Aside from the physical benefits, a day on the job brings many mental perks, too. Every day on the job site brings something new, which helps construction workers stay mentally sharp.
Reason #2 Happiness
Construction workers report a high level of happiness that comes from rewarding days.
- Members of the construction industry have the opportunity to do what they love. Whether that is working with the latest technology or using natural painting skills, the career paths are as varied as individual interests.
- While using these skills, construction workers get to complete meaningful work. There’s nothing quite like the feeling of “I did that” while passing by a new build.
- If the work itself isn’t rewarding enough, construction workers enjoy competitive pay that keeps their bank accounts happy. Overtime pay and pay increases based on experience leads to long-term happiness.
Reason #3 Future
Construction workers enjoy peace of mind in the form of lasting security.
- We touched on the great pay benefits above, but a healthy salary means more than just the immediate future. With a dependable salary, workers can build a comfortable lifestyle for themselves and their families.
- In addition to competitive pay, construction workers enjoy the benefit of future job security. The labor shortage isn’t going anywhere, so workers of all specialties are expected to stay in high-demand for the foreseeable future, so long as they put in the work.
- Lastly, construction industry members can always feel confident knowing their future is completely in their control. Unlike other industries, the construction industry allows workers to transform their career paths just like they transform their communities. Even if they begin in one skilled trade, they can learn another, move into a leadership role, and more.
These are just three of the most-often reported benefits to working in construction. But there’s many more reasons to be thankful for a career in construction.