Construction projects are beginning to take off throughout the state, and with them comes the need for skilled, passionate people to get the job done. Now could be the perfect time for you to join the construction industry, especially if you’re in the central Ohio area. While we are excited for the progress to come in every corner of the state, Central Ohio is proving to be leading the way with multiple billion-dollar projects in progress. According to Columbus Building Trades Council, 2021 is projected to be a big year for central Ohio, thanks in part to these large projects including:
- The Ohio State University Medical Center Wexner Tower
- This is the largest construction project in Ohio State’s history. At the end of construction, it will reach 1.9 million square feet and 26 stories. They’ll need a range of skilled workers for quite some time, as the inpatient tower is expected to open in about 5 years.
- The Franklin County Jail
- At the completion of the Phase II construction, inmates will be moved into the updated facility, projected for this fall.
- The Columbus Crew Soccer Stadium
- Construction crews are putting the final touches on the 20,000-seat facility, which is projected to be ready to host fans this summer.
- The Hilton Hotel
- The 460,000 square-foot hotel tower will reach 28 stories and connect to the Greater Columbus Convention Center, bringing in countless visitors to the area and income for local businesses.
It’s these types of projects that give us so much hope for the future of our industry. Following a mundane year with minimal progress, people statewide are ready to get out there and make a difference. Are you?
- If you have been working in the industry and are looking for your next opportunity, central Ohio might be the place for you. While some of these billion-dollar projects are wrapping up, the need is still high with existing projects and a few more on deck. We need people like you to reach the big goals that have been set. Click here to see current jobs that need talented skilled tradespeople like you.
- If you’re just getting started, don’t worry, you don’t need to know everything at the beginning. That’s where quality education comes in. And, you don’t need to rush. The opportunities like we listed above won’t be going anywhere any time soon. There’s no better time than now to begin your journey to a construction career with relevant training.
- People of all ages can begin their educational training at one of Ohio’s universities, community colleges, or career technical education centers.
- If you have already begun your education journey but aren’t quite ready to join the workforce, consider applying for an apprenticeship. We can’t recommend apprenticeships enough. Employers value this learn-as-you-earn experience. Simply click here to find a program near you.
No matter where you are today, we can’t wait to see what impact you will make in our home state.