April is National Welding Month. I Build America – Ohio, along with the American Welding Society, wants to recognize this important skilled trade that leads to financial security for skilled laborers and improved quality of life for people throughout Ohio and across the globe.
National Welding Month began in 1996 by the American Welding Society, who sought to recognize the people who literally hold our world together. Visit the American Welding Society’s website to learn more about the industry and the American Welding Society.
With a perfected technique, welders join metal to create countless things we depend on every day. From the construction of buildings and bridges to power plants and pipelines, welders help our communities progress in more ways than one. In addition to the construction industry, we need welders for a range of products and structures in all types of industries, including:
- Oil & Gas
As welding technology continues to advance, job opportunities for welders continue to rise. With these advancements, the construction industry requires an even more skilled workforce. These skills include:
- More than 100 different welding processes.
- Precise cutting and trimming.
- Bending and lifting with maneuverability and balanced mobility.
- Confident soldering with molten metal to join two pieces of metal.
- Skilled brazing with molten metal to protect material from corrosion.
- Operating machine or robotics, including laser-beam machines.
While there is no one specific route to take to become a welder, we encourage an apprenticeship and/or technical school before earning a welding certificate. Visit our Career Technical Centers page here to find a welding program in your district and available apprenticeships here. Then, learn more about the certifications the American Welding Society offers here
As we’ve shared in previous posts, we are still in a labor shortage for the construction industry. So there’s no better time but the present to start your career as a welder or inspire someone you know to join the workforce.
April’s observance of National Welding Month strives to bring awareness to the industry and the available career opportunities. We invite you to join in on this mission. No matter where you are in the state, at home or on the jobsite, help us celebrate National Welding Month on social media:
- If you’re a welder, we’d love to hear your welding story. Tag @americanweldingsociety and @ibuildamerica_ohio on Instagram with #MyWeldingStory for a chance to be featured.
- If you’re not a welder, share how welders have made your life easier with their expertise. Their impact spans throughout many parts of your everyday, from the car you drive to the pipes that bring you fresh water. Tag @americanweldingsociety and @ibuildamerica_ohio on Instagram with #NWM2020 for a chance to be featured.
Welding students, employers, and skilled laborers can connect with the American Welding Society. An American Welding Society Membership will provide you with the best insider industry news, educational advancement opportunities, and exclusive discounts. And, for the month of April, you won’t want to miss out on the chance to win a National Welding Month Swag Bag here.