With the start of spring right around the corner, it’s time to welcome the season of new beginnings: Career Fair Season. Whether you’re a student or working professional, over the next few months, career fairs across the state will give you the chance to connect with local employers. But, being prepared will help you land the job.
Before the career fair:
- Target who you want to talk to most of all.
- These events are an incredible opportunity to get in front of recruiters from top Ohio-based construction companies. Review the roster to plan out which firms you’d most like to work for or what type of position might be the best fit for you. That way, on the day of the career fair, you’ll be efficient with your time and effective in every interaction.
- Come prepared to ask questions.
- Most job seekers come to a career fair with at least a little bit of nerves. It’s completely normal! To prevent yourself from getting overwhelmed in the moment and forgetting your goals for the event, draft out a few questions in advance. That way, when the time comes to learn about each organization, you’ll get the answers you need while showing you’ve done your homework.
- Bring a folder or bag to carry your resume and gather business cards.
- This is often overlooked, but having something to carry everything in one place will keep all that important information organized and your hands free. You won’t want to leave any interaction without sharing a bit about yourself, discussing clear next-steps, or receiving company business cards. So, you’ll need a place to keep it all! Plus, exchanging information will make sure you make a great first impression and give you the ability to follow up later.
Speaking of making a great first impression, at the career fair, present yourself well. Dress for success and show up with a smile. After all, this is the time for potential employers to learn about you just as much as it is for you to learn about Ohio-based organizations. No matter how perfect your resume might be, remember that construction companies are really looking for:
- Hardworking people who will get the job done well.
- Team players who will collaborate on the jobsite.
- Innovators who will take the industry into the future.
With these things in mind, you’ll be well equipped for this Career Fair Season. A simple search will help you discover local events that will help you land the career of your dreams. Two upcoming career fairs include:
Thursday, June 9th from 11:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at The Ohio Union, Columbus, Ohio
Perfect for graduating seniors and alumni, this one-day event brings some of Ohio’s best employers directly to Ohio job seekers who took the traditional four-year route at one of our state’s colleges.
Wednesday, May 5th from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Hosted by Montgomery County’s Business Services department, this virtual event connects Dayton-area businesses with construction industry members who are ready for their next opportunity.
We at I Build America Ohio wish all job seekers the very best this Career Fair Season. For even more support in your job search, explore our Job Seekers page as well as our News and Events page for the most up-to-date Ohio construction industry opportunities.