Last week, we celebrated In-Demand Jobs Week. As you read in our post, Electricians and Plumbers/Pipefitters are two of the most in-demand careers in construction. And West Central Ohio is teeming with opportunities for these two specialties and more.
Electrician careers are projected to be in demand well into the next decade and beyond, especially within our industry. The demand for electricians in the construction industry is projected to grow by 9.9% by 2030. The reason for this high need is twofold:
- Experienced electricians are retiring faster than ever and not enough electricians are entering the industry.
- There is a growing demand driven by an increase in devices, buildings, and vehicles that rely on electricity.
West Central Ohio has impressive training programs to help individuals take advantage of this incredible opportunity, including local chapters of national organizations as well as local businesses.
- MECATS Dayton IEC Chapter has a fully accredited IEC Apprenticeship program in partnership with Sinclair Community College.
- Dayton Electricians JATC offers apprenticeships for inside wiremen and teledata installer technicians at the Dayton-based Ohio Elecrical Worker training center.
- B Electric Incorporated
- Garber Electrical Contractors
- Scott Bernholt Electric
As you can see, there is no shortage of training options in this region alone. No matter which route you take, if you start soon, you’re sure to get into the industry at an incredibly lucrative time.
Like electricians, the demand for plumbers and pipefitters is expected to rise exceptionally faster than the average occupation. Some studies show that the national demand for plumbers and pipefitters will rise by 15% through 2040. Though similar, plumbers’ and pipefitters’ roles do vary. Pipefitters typically work with pressurized, sometimes hazardous, substances. Plumbers, on the other hand, work on residential projects.
Dayton-area suburbs have apprenticeship programs through local businesses that are looking to build a strong team from entry-level up:
- Ritter Plumbing Company Inc is actively hiring for a Foreman in Training as well as a Utility Construction Apprenticeship. Click here to download an application and submit your resume.
- H&S Plumbing is looking to grow their team. Click here to to access their employment form.
The benefit of training with a company from the start is that you get to understand the inner workings of the industry and company culture while learning your skilled trade and building relationships with teammates. Think of it like an ongoing interview where your hard work proves your hirability every day.
Now is the perfect time to begin training for one of these in-demand careers. Electricians and Plumbers/Pipefitters are expected to see success for years to come.
The great news is that these two specialties aren’t where the opportunities end. We need skilled trades of all types to support the growth of our industry. Check out the other apprenticeship opportunities in West Central Ohio and statewide to find the right fit for your future. Then, be on the lookout for our final post in our Apprenticeship Spotlight series. We’ll feature Southwest Ohio next month, but don’t delay your career training search another day. Our industry’s future depends on you.
[photo credit: Dayton Ohio Area Electrical JATC]