It’s Women in Construction Week! Each year, I Build America Ohio takes the opportunity during Women in Construction Week to share the stories of the women across the state who make up our great industry. The stories of these women show the diverse backgrounds, interests, skills, and talents that are part of the work we do–and we encourage more women of all ages and interests to consider careers in construction.
You can follow along as the nation celebrates its female construction workforce. Check out the hashtag #WICWeek2022 and #IBuildAmericaOhio!
The Women of Ohio’s Workforce: Meet Janie
Name: Janie Hovan
Company: Ohio Cat
Title/Position: General Manager Component Remanufacturing Division
Years working in construction: 30 plus
In your experience, what do women bring to the construction industry?
More drive and determination to succeed in a traditionally male dominated industry. The ability to think outside of the box with a different perspective. We possess strong relationship building skills, and we are multitaskers.
In what ways does your company support more women joining the industry?
- Hiring and promoting women for roles that are traditionally thought of for males only.
- Women in Leadership, mentoring, training and support in our roles.
What do you like most about working in construction?
- Being out of my comfort zone at times.
- The relationships!
- Opportunities to learn, observe and meet a diverse group of people with many different skills.
If you were to give young women (high schoolers) advice about beginning a career in construction, what would you say?
- Never underestimate yourself or what you are capable of.
- Ask Questions!
- Find a mentor early in your career.
- Always have a presence that commands respect, never demanding it.